Ireland: Hockey Ireland Domestic Weekend Results: Saturday May 4




Railway Union won their first Women’s Irish Senior Cup title since 2013 by beating Catholic Institute 1-0 at Belfield on Saturday.  The two sides had met seven days ago in the Champions Trophy semi-final in Havelock Park, Banbridge and it too was a one goal game in favour of the Dublin side.  International commitments meant that Railway Union had to do without the services of Sarah Hawkshaw, Michelle and Niamh Carey, Roisin Upton and Katie Mullan. Catholic Institute were missing their forward Naomi Carroll. But these forced omissions didn’t seem to affect either side that significantly.

This game while equally tight was a little more open and had better moments than last week’s semi-final. Railway Union dominated possession in the opening quarter and had the lion’s share of what chances there were. They did hit the backboard but their “goal” was ruled out for an infringement. It was 0-0 at the end of quarter one and also 0-0 at half-time. Catholic Institute having survived a handful of goalmouth scrambles enjoyed more possession in quarter three and carved out a number of half chances none of which were converted. The final quarter was even enough but Railway Union were beginning to reassert their dominance in the closing minute. In the 67th minute the final breakthrough came Railway Union had possession inside the Catholic Institute circle the ball ricocheted around the goalmouth before Katie Fearon managed to poke it home and it proved to be the only goal of the game.

It was a particularly special occasion for Holly Jenkinson one of four survivors of the 2013 Cup win who was playing in her final match for the Railway Union first team as she intends to hang up her stick from first team hockey at the end of the season. Holly Jenkinson had won her very first Senior Cup medal as far back as 2009 when she helped UCD end a 58 year wait for another irish Senior Cup win. UCD haven’t looked back since then adding multiple titles in the intervening 15 years. Holly won her second medal in 2013 with Railway Union and today in her final match she added a third. For the other three survivors of the 2013 win, Orla Fox, Emma Smyth and Kate Dillon the decision as to whether to give it another go will be decided during the summer break. Head Coach Una McCarthy missed the game because she had booked a holiday months ago assuming that it would not be a problem. But what a season for her and her team 2nd place in the League title race, EY Champions Trophy and Irish Senior Cup double winners.

RAILWAY UNION;– Emma Buckley; Orla Patton; Sarah Patton; Kate Fearon; Lisa Mc Carthy; Aebfhinn Burke; Emma Smyth [C]; Orla Fox; Niamh Shaw; Saoirse Griffin;  SUBS USED;– Kate Dillon [5 mins]; Holly Jenkinson  [5mins] Ailish Long  [5 mins], Clodagh Ferry [8 mins]; JL  [mins]

CATHOLIC INSTITUTE;- Pamela Smithwick-Hearne;  Roisín Begley; Aoife Hickey; Leah Clery; Laura Foley; Michelle Barrett  Ciara Moloney; Eimear Ryan [C]; Anna Horan; Emilie Ryan-Doyle; Jennifer Clein; SUBS USED:- Aoibheann Collins [ 7 mins] ;  Sarah Fitzgerald [ 8 mins] ; Tory Byrne [10  mins] ;Seodhna Dervan   [15 mins]




Ireland’s Blue Riband and the World’s Oldest Knockout Hockey Competition trophy will be heading to Comber Road after this epic encounter at Belfield. Lisnagarvey started out of the traps in the first quarter and looked the more dangerous of the two sides early on. They took a lead in the 5th minute when Lisnagarvey’s captain Andrew Williamson converted a penalty corner in the 5th minute. Banbridge were back on terms with Louis Rowe scoring from open play in the 12th minute for 1-1.

It was 1-1 at the end of the first quarter. Banbridge looked to be in control of the match for a time in the second quarter and took the lead again when Philip Brown converted a penalty corner in the 28th minute and it was a lead they held at half-time. Lisnagarvey got back on level terms in the 40th minute when Daniel Nelson converted a penalty corner to open his account in the final. Banbridge had a chance to restore their lead in the 49th minute but James Milliken made a timely save and then Lisnagarvey broke from defense and a Matthew Nelson pass to his brother Daniel resulted in him scoring his second of the game, in the 50th minute from open play, to put Lisnagarvey 3-2 ahead and it was a lead they maintained.

Banbridge had one more chance of note to equalise however, Jonathan Bell, playing in his final game on the national stage, made a timely tackle to deny Banbridge an equaliser late on.  Perhaps for some of the players on both sides this may have been a game too many, but nevertheless Lisnagarvey emerged triumphant on a 3-2 scoreline to regain the Cup title they previously won in 2020. Both sides meet in Ulster’s Kirk Cup Final on Tuesday night and could yet meet up again in the Anderson Cup Final later this month.

LISNAGARVEY:–  James Milliken; Jonathan Lynch; Jonathan Bell; Mark McNelis; James Corry; Peter McKibbin; Andrew Williamson [C];  Daniel Nelson; Harry Morris; Ryan Getty; Andrew Edgar; Matthew Nelson  SUBS USED:- Jonathan Bell [9 mins]; Oliver Kidd [9 mins] ;  Ben Nelson [9 mins]; James Lorimar [10 mins]; Ben Thompson [10 mins] ;  Milo Thompson [ 10 mins] ; Matthew Aughey [ 11 mins]

BANDBRIDGE :-  Luke Roleston; Luke Witherow; Alexander Tinney [C]; Charlie Rowe; Jake Rowe; Louis Rowe;  Sam Farson; Owen Magee; Ben Walker SUBS USED:- Bruce McCandless [8 mins] ;  Thomas Orr [8 mins] ;Thomas Dobson [ 9 mins] ; James Evans [ 10  mins] Mark Barlow [ 22 mins]

By Hockey Ireland

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox
Verified by MonsterInsights