Scotland: Watsonians claim women’s Premiership title while Men’s Scottish Cup Final places are confirmed

Congratulations to Watsonians, who are officially confirmed as women’s Premiership champions after a 3-1 win over Western Wildcats, they are five points ahead of Edinburgh University with only one game left.

Watsonians coach Keith Smith said: “we are delighted to have retained our Premiership title, it’s a reward for all the hard work the girls have put in over a very busy season.   To some extent the pressure is off and we can concentrate on the other competitions coming up.”

Any nerves were dispelled when Emily Dark converted a penalty corner to open the scoring. However, Wildcats refused to lie down and Emma McDiarmid equalised from open play. But two minutes later Mairi Drummond had restored Watsonians’ lead and that is how it stood at the break.

The destiny of the title was finally confirmed with another set piece strike from Dark – and that was that.

Watsonians were on top form as they defeated Kelburne 6-1 in the Men’s Scottish Cup semi-final at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

It was a fast start to the contest that saw Kelburne score right away to go 1-0 up. A rebound fell kindly for Michael Nicol who prodded home to give the Paisley side the lead.

A drag flick by Max Johnstone for Watsonians was saved low by Lewis Berry to keep the score 1-0 at the end of the first quarter. The Watsonians press saw Duncan Riddell win the ball and run through on goal but his low effort struck the left post and rolled clear.

Halfway through the second quarter came an equaliser for Watsonians from a drag flick by Daniel Cain into the bottom right corner to make it 1-1. Andrew Campbell struck down the middle for Watsonians from open play as they went 2-1 on the brink of half time.

Early in the second half Watsonians struck again when Max Johnstone fired home a low penalty corner to make it 3-1. As the third quarter reached its conclusion it went to 4-1 for Watsonians as Duncan Riddell converted from close range, finishing off a cut-back from the right.

Midway through the final quarter Owen Hunter squeezed the ball home from close range to make it 5-1 for Watsonians. Then with 36 seconds left to play Watsonians went 6-1 ahead through a tidy penalty corner deflection by Tom Swarbrick to complete the scoring.

Grange came from two goals down to beat Western Wildcats 3-2 in their Men’s Scottish Cup semi-final clash.

The game burst into life when a tremendous solo run and finish from Fraser Moran made it 1-0 early doors for Western Wildcats. Moran surged forward into the circle and fired the ball on the reverse into the top right corner of the net.

On the brink of half time Hamish Galt burst into the circle and finished low into the bottom right corner to make it 2-0 to Western Wildcats, and the Milngavie side looked to be cruising.

The third quarter was a very even affair with neither side able to create any clear opportunities. Western Wildcats edged the possession, but there would be no further goals.

Then early in the final quarter Grange pulled one back through a lovely far post finish by Joe Waterston to make it 2-1.

A short time later Waterston finished again for Grange after some lovely build-up play down the left. A slick two pass exchange saw the ball popped across goal at head height for Waterston to knock home for 2-2.

Then for the finale, with three minutes to play Grange went 3-2 ahead through an Aidan McQuade drag flick into the bottom left corner, which booked their place in the Scottish Cup Final.

by Scotland Hockey

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox
Verified by MonsterInsights